Sunday, September 19, 2010

A dog's life...

I have been addicted to petfinder.com. I am on there daily, looking for a furry friend to add to our family. No one can ever replace Chops, but we need a dog around here! There is a dog named Shaggy that I've been watching (stalking!). Yesterday he was scheduled to be at an adoption event at Petsmart. I (surprisingly) convinced Dave that we needed to go see him. When we arrived at the store, there was a cloud of barking, whining and growling - three of my favorite sounds! Ben and Dave were held up looking at fish (boring!) while I went off to find Shaggy. I turned the corner and there he was - this sweet, furry mess sitting in a cage. I ran up to the cage, knelt down, put my hand out and greeted him with a "yikes, you're so cute!". He responded with the loudest, most vicious bark I had ever heard! Why was this beast barking at me? I've been his biggest fan for the last few weeks. Turns out his barks were just a result of being out of his element, with a crazy lady going ga-ga over him. The shelter worker took him out of his cage and we went a few aisles over and visited with him. At this point, Dave and Ben returned and we all took turns talking and petting him. He turned out to be a pretty sweet little guy. Although he was in dire need of a bath, he was still very cute! Ben really liked him, Dave thought he was "just okay". At one point, Ben told the shelter worker that his dog Chops was at the doctor and not coming back. The poor shelter working said she had "goose bumps" just hearing that. I had explained to her the story of Chops while we were visiting with Shaggy. While I would love to bring Shaggy home right now, we can't do anything until we are in our new house. I'll be keeping an eye on him and hopefully we can bring him home in November. But, if not, I'm sure someone will adopt him and there will be another dog waiting to join our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment