Thursday, March 29, 2012

High five....or is it high hive?

We are so fortunate that Ben is rarely sick. But, unfortunately, when something is a little "off" with him I panic because it doesn't happen very often. We were getting ready to give Ben his bath the other night. When he took off his shirt, I discovered a few red bumps on his tummy. Yikes! My first thought was chicken pox. Then I remembered he was vaccinated for that - whew! But then my next thought was what if the vaccination didn't work? More yikes! Fortunately, the reasonable one, also known around here as dad, came in to see what my scoffs were about. Upon further investigation, we discovered some more bumps and some red splotches. The reasonable one thought it was just a skin irritation or maybe he said something else. I stopped listening to him as I ran to make some urgent phone calls. First, to my sister. She didn't answer. Next, to my mom. She answered - one point for mom, zero points for sister. We discussed the posibilty of hives and my mom suggested I call the doctor. She raised five kids so for her to suggest the doctor, I knew I should probably call. Meanwhile, the reasonable one finished giving Ben his bath and let him fall asleep on the couch. I called the doctor's office. Since it was afterhours I had to leave a message. While I was waiting for the return call, I jumped on the internet. Upon googling "my child has red splotches" several pages came up. This was serious if other people had searched for it, right? The first page I clicked on, and each one after that said, "skin problems rarely require an urgent call to the doctor". Oops! The doctor called back and said we were actually the third call that day with these symptoms. Their explanation - so much pollen in the air is causing kiddos to get hives. No big deal. The next morning when Ben woke up, he asked if he still had spots. I checked him out and there were no spots to be found. I told him the spots were called hives but since they were gone, we had nothing to worry about. Then, the most curious look arrived on his adorable face and he said, "do you mean like bee hives?" He cracks me up!

No comments:

Post a Comment